Welcome to the City of Lathrop's Website
2012 City of Lathrop - Water Quality Report
Lathrop Missouri is located 40 miles north of Kansas City in
Northwest Missouri, only a few miles to the west of Interstate 35 in Clinton
County. Lathrop has a population of around 2,300 citizens. Lathrop
retains the qualities of "small town" living while still being close to two
large metropolitan areas (Saint Joseph and Kansas City, MO).
Lathrop was once known as the Mule Capital of the World and
was home to the Guyton and Harrington Mule and Horse farm that supplied horses
and mules to the British Government during the Boer War from 1898 to 1901 and
later to the Indian government. It was estimated that Guyton and
Harrington supplied about 350,000 horses and mules during World War 1, making
Lathrop, Missouri the Mule Capital of the world at that time.
The Lathrop School's Mascot is the "Mules".
Pictures courtesy of www.lathropinfo.com